Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost: Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen. Matthew 28:19-20

Monday, August 5, 2013

Post #15

Hello Everyone,
          So I’m doing fine and I’m still alive. haha…. Well this past week was good. My new companion is good. The weather has been really really nice this past week. Its been cloudy, and it lightly rains quite often. But from mid morning to late afternoon, most of the time, the sun is just scorching. It feels like it’s right above you. I can barely open my eyes when it’s like that, cuz it’s so bright. Thank you so much for the package, especially for the priceless pictures. They are awesome.
          So yes, there are eight missionaries in Obuasi that live with me now. Their names are Elder Barker - Indiana, Okuchukwu - Nigeria, Okoro - Nigeria, Gakaka - S. Africa, Anderson - Texas, Sonpon - Liberia, then me and my companion. Its pretty crazy at times. It gets dirty easy, but we clean it good every Monday.
          This past week we were able to go to a place called Akrofoum. (it’s a village). We went with two other missionaries for a family home evening. We took a tro tro for about a half hour from Obuasi. We rode in a really old/crappy one. There was Reggie playing really loud and it was probably going around 70mph down this crappy road out through the jungle. I thought to myself; I’m really in Africa!!  This is awesome!!  I still can’t believe that I’m actually here at times.
          We are teaching this new guy named Steven.  He has a baptismal date for the 18.  The only thing he needs to do is to come to church. That’s the only problem with the people we teach. (coming to church)!!  But he has given us a bunch of referrals, and we are planning on contacting them this week. I have not been able to talk in church yet. The missionaries here don’t talk in Sacrament. But we do have to teach the investigators class. I think I’m next, for the next week, or the week after. So the discussions with the investigators, I am the one that takes the lead, and keeps the lesson going pretty much, and saves it when it gets too deep. So it pretty sweet. There is only so much we can do to help someone, but for them to know the truth, they have to pray. That is one thing that she does not want to do when we come. But she is getting better. The Branch here in Obuasi had a BBQ this past Saturday. There are a bunch of Australians that are here because of the gold mining. They put on the BBQ, and had chicken breasts and some kind of sausages. It was pretty good. It was nice to actually have some nice looking and tasting meat for once.
          So the highlight of this week was on Thursday. We were walking in town, and three guys on horses came running through town riding bareback and yelling and hollering. All they had on the horses was a halter, and they were wearing rubber boots. I guess thats Ghanian cowboys for ya. hahaha....  It was quite the site.
          So it is good to hear that you had a good time at the reunion. It sounds like the mountain is looking as good as ever, and the cows doing great. It’s always good to have lots of good help pushin em off to Snow Lake. I bet that it was fun and nice to get out of the heat. I can’t believe that it’s fair time again.  WOW!! It seems like yesterday that I was dragging Chap around with the horse in the Hide Race.   So just remember that you are always on my mind, and all the memories we have had together.  I really can’t believe that I have such a great family. I love you all, take care, have fun, and have a great week.
Love Elder Ty Blackburn


This is an open pit goldmine on the hill.  
They are everywhere!!!


This is me pounding fufu. 
First it's boiled, and then pounded into a dough.

No comments:

Post a Comment