Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost: Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen. Matthew 28:19-20

Monday, September 9, 2013

Post #20


Hello All,
          So this past week was good.  We were able to confirm Shadrack yesterday. He is fifteen, and use to go to The Church of Pentecost.  He said he always felt sad and not good when he went there; but then one day he saw us and had a warm peaceful feeling. He said from that time forward, he has had so many good things happen his life, and feels welcome and at home when he comes to church with us. He even said that he wants to serve a mission as well!! It really gives us satisfaction and a "pat on the back" when people progress and say things like that.
          We also met this guy named Joe a few weeks ago. He says ever since we have been coming around and having discussions, he has been happier than ever, and just feels good when we come around.   We have been able to work with a few members, and have gotten some referrals to teach. I have been studying very hard lately, and learning more Doctrine, so I can throw as many arrows that I can, that are in my tether.  
          So the Palmers (couple missionaries) have been coming to Obuasi for probably the past month or so, except yesterday. They are trying to make Obuasi a district. There will be a set of missionaries for every branch. They are also trying to fix and renovate another place for us to go and have church. It will be a lot closer for our investigators. And Obuasi has a small choir now. Our branch President Manu likes hymns, so we have a choir now. There are about 8 or so people in it. Every fast and testimony Sunday, the little kids are lined up; and everyone of them are powerful.  Everyone likens his or experiences to the Book of Mormon. The spirit is always strong in our little branch. They said that President Holmes will be coming Next Sunday to divide the branches up, so hopefully soon we will be able to move into our new building.
          We are still walking the same amount of miles each day.  Some days it’s a little less or a little more, but roughly its around 5-7 miles a day. I always use to be winded when I came at first, but now it’s no problem. I’m like a thoroughbred now!  Haha… From 12:00pm to 5:00pm while we’re walking, we hear the sound of pounding fufu.  Everyday! Everywhere we go, we hear them pounding.  These people love their culture.
          So for me and Elder Cockrum, we have decided to move out of Estate, and go proslyte in Abompe. We have never been there before, and are pretty sure no white man has been there before either.  There are a few members that live there, and we will give it a shot.  We are in our 4th transfer now; Elder Cockrum and I.  There are 16 transfers in two years. This transfer will put us into the middle of October. Each transfer is six weeks. I’m not sure if I’ll stay here for the next one, or be transferred.  We got 2 new missionaries in our apartment this past week. Elder Gakaka is training Elder Olds from Green River Wyoming.  And another Nigerian came to replace Elder Barker.
          So on our way coming to the cafe we were coming in a tro and there was this big dump truck that the whole rear end had fell out from underneath it. It was in someone’s front door. The other part of the truck was a block or so down the road with half the road tore up.  There is no weight limits in Ghana I’m pretty sure.   All the big trucks have 4-5 axles underneath, and loaded to the max.  haha… It’s pretty hilarious!!
          So anyway, I have been writing in my journal often. But I still need to tighten it up everyday.  It is good to do it.  I wrote in it everyday at the MTC,  and its quite interesting to read my own experiences just at the MTC.
          This Saturday is my birthday, as you know. Last year on my birthday, I cut hay all day. It was really nice. I don’t think I even imagined where I would be a year later!!  Amazing how things happen and change.  So thank you so much for everything.
 Stay safe! Keep up the good work! May God Bless!
      Love your Twenty Year Old Son,
                Elder Blackburn 


Me, Shadrack, and a member with his 2 kids.
(Shadracks baptism day)

No comments:

Post a Comment