Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost: Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen. Matthew 28:19-20

Monday, June 3, 2013

Post #6

Hello Everyone,
          Well this week has been one of the toughest, knowing that you all were taking the cows on the Mtn. My mind was not very focused towards the end of the week. So yeah I have had two hair cuts since I have been here. Well three, if you count the one the Liberian gave me with a razor. (gad talk about a mess if you ever seen one) But they are almost a buzz, it is like a number two or three. The Africans, they give really good hair cuts. They take their time and don’t rush. 
          So it was yesterday it was raining cats and dogs for about an hour and a half. We live at a place which is kinda in a hole, with a wall around our apartment. So within about a half hour there was twelve inches of standing water outside our apartment. But luckily there was a drain to the creek which is behind our apartment. And luckily our doors are high and there is a small barrier around our door. Wow I was starting to worry for a min. But it was fun.
          The people that we have been teaching, they are Barbers, Bakers, Gold Miners, Seamstrices, sell quickcrete, taxi drivers, work at a fufu bar, and they have rice stands. And yes, they ask where I am from and what do I do there and I tell em I am a cowboy and a farmer. HAHa they just laugh and call me cowboy from there on, its funny. So yeah there are many little odd jobs to do but not many solid money making jobs. 
          Yeah so people here in Ghana the majority of them they go to some church. There are many many Christians, a lot of Muslims, and there are the few that are of an apostate church or they don’t go to church. But the majority are Christian based people. I took a picture of a small church that looks like our wood shed, it is called The Twelve Apostle Church, Nwe Nsuta Branch. The majority of the people we meet they believe in God and Jesus Christ. So yeah, I think that it is mostly because of the poverty. Because they have nothing but what they have and can have is religion. So we mostly just find people out and about, like just walking, sitting in the shade, or sitting at their little stores. But I haven’t knocked on one door yet. I may never. Who knows?? The teaching is going good. The lessons are getting better for me some how at times. But I need to listen to the spirit more.  
          So we usually go the rice stand maybe three or four times a week, it is really quite good for Ghana food. It's called King David's Fried Rice!! hahaha. Talk about a shack and a half!! It would not be able to compare with American food at all. So we cook food at the apartment like Samoan pancakes, rice, and stew which is getting very old; bread and egg, and ramen noodles. And I also buy the oatmeal cookies at a store here, they are pretty good. I like the elders I live with. They are all easy going and good strong missionaries to joke around with laugh, talk, ask advice or just to play a game of checkers with. One elder is going home next week from American Fork, Elder Succo. , He has been enjoying him self the last couple of weeks. 
          So yeah the clothes washer plunger thing that I brought, it works good, I have learned how to really use it good. But some times I have to scrub with my hands with some things like my shirts to get the dirt out. It was worth bringing for sure.  
          Tell little Bryer Patch Happy Birthday for me and that I miss her cute smiley face. So we are always working hard and doing our job as missionaries. I am getting use to the weather. And yes I am staying healthy. My feet are good; and yes, I always wear my shower shoes and of course I’m always taking picture. The best of luck with anything and everything. You are always in my prayers. So Till next week.
Love Elder Ty Blackburn 





This is the mining town that I am currently serving in. 
Obuasi Ghana Africa!!!



Here is a bowl of fufu.  
A thick, doughlike West African food made by boiling and pounding a starchy vegetable such as yam, plantain, or cassava.

No comments:

Post a Comment